It’s not a secret, I love everything Indian. I tasted a dhal recipe at a Shri Yoga pot luck dinner that put me seriously in the mood for some Indian cooking. There are many blogs filled with marvelous, authentic Indian recipes. They have ingredient lists that make me even more jittery than I already am, but this little ditty doesn’t intimidate at all. It’s easy to replicate and the flavours just jump off the page.
Chicken with Raita
- 1 1/2 c plain yogourt
- 2 T grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 t curry
- 1 t sea salt
- 1 t paprika
- 3/4 t ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t cayenne pepper
- 4 lb chicken breasts or thighs, dried with paper towel
- fresh mint, finely chopped
Mix yogourt and all the seasonings in a large ziplock. Let the yogourt mixture sit for 15 minutes, squashing to mix it from time to time. Add the chicken and marinate from 4-6 hours or overnight. Before cooking, discard marinade.
BBQ chicken on medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until the temperature is 165F. Garnish with mint and serve with Raita. Serves 6-8.
- 2 c yogourt
- 1 English cucumber, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1/4 t ground cumin
- 2 T finely chopped mint (or basil)
Mix ingredients. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
- This recipe is from Coup de Pouce, June 2012. My favorite firstname.lastname@example.org home repairman, Robert Bowden, sussed it out for us. He’s what you’d call a Renaissance man–a fixer, a chef and a patron of the arts.
- FYI Robert emailed me a scan of this recipe and won a set of Jittery Cook tote bags for his effort. Look what’s up next in Jittery contest land.
Can you guess what this is?
A bottle of this infused alcohol will be the 2012 holiday season Jittery Cook – recipe 2 recipe prize. What can you do to win? Email email@example.com your favorite recipe to share. Deadline is December 18. Good luck!
- Cucumber Raita ~ A cooling yogurt condiment (ateaspoonofturmeric.com)
- Healthy Recipes: Tandoori Chicken Skewers with Mint Raita (foodconsumer.org)
- The Spiciest Dish in the World (and How to Make it) (theflyingfugu.com)