baked beans, baked lentil recipe, baked lentils, bean recipe, easy healthy recipe, healthy vegetarian recipe, lentil recipe, tomato lentil recipe, vegan recipe, vegetarian bean recipe, vegetarian lentil recipe, vegetarian recipe
One of the most popular Jittery Cook recipes is the Greek Giant Lima Beans. The Tomato Baked Lentils take advantage of all the delicious flavours in the lima bean dish.
Tomato Baked Lentils are excellent as a side dish or as a main. Serve with quinoa on Passover or Freekeh for a delicious, nutritious high fiber and high protein meal that you can enjoy hot or cold.
Tomato Baked Lentils
- 2 c green lentils, rinsed and picked over to remove any foreign bits
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes, with the juices, roughly chopped
- 2-3 onions, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch flat leafed parsley, leaves and stems roughly chopped
- 1/4 c sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 3 T tomato paste
- 1/4 c olive oil, or oil from sun-dried tomato jar
- 2 c water
- 2 t kosher salt
- 1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in a large casserole dish. Cover and cook for 90 minutes or until softened. Freezes well. Eat right away or refrigerate overnight to allow the flavours to blend. Serves 8-10.
- 1 c Freekeh (cracked greenwheat, a low gluten grain)
- 2 1/2 c water
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 2 t unsalted butter or olive oil (optional)
Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Serves 4.
- Are lentils kosher for passover?
- Do you know the many benefits of freekeh: from weight loss to eye health?
- Web MD reports that consuming fruits and veggies may be related to longevity.
- Happy Passover!