Asian dressing, Asian salad, cucumber salad, dress ahead salad, gluten free noodles in salad, healthy salad, kelp noodles in salad, marinated salad, oriental salad, Oriental salad dressing, party salad, shiitake mushrooms in salad, vegan noodles in salad
On the first day of Christmas, my yoga teacher gave to me: a yoga class potluck holiday party. Several Shri Yoga teachers alternated verses of their yoga version of The Twelve Days of Christmas and led us in 12 unique poses. Lighthearted and heartwarming, the class took lots of physical and mental agility to transition between poses and remember the sequence. And then there was the food. I brought this Oriental Salad, and it was a resounding crowd pleaser. You’ll have to keep tuned to JC for the rest of the winning recipe treats.
Oriental Salad for a Crowd
- 2 English cucumbers (They’re still legal in Quebec)—cut lengthwise and thinly sliced (A mandolin works well.)
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced, then cut bite-sized
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced (Again, try a mandolin.)
- 12 dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated for 30 minutes in boiled water, well dried, stemmed so no hard part remains, thinly sliced
- 12 oz. kelp noodles, rinsed in cold water, roughly chopped, separated, dried well
- 2 t minced fresh ginger (Try a microplane.)
- 1/4 – 1/3 c rice wine vinegar (Combine seasoned and unseasoned for a little sweetness, not a lot.)
- 2 T each sesame oil, miso, coconut sugar (Start with 1 tablespoon each and add more if required.)
- 1 T finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 t each sea salt, freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 c coriander leaves, roughly chopped
Combine ingredients, mix well and season to taste. This recipe is malleable. You can include or omit ingredients to suit your taste and needs. It works well for a party because you can dress and toss it in advance. Refrigerate until served. Serves 12.
- Thanks to Sheryl Shuchat for suggesting Norene Gilletz‘s Oriental Cucumber Salad from Meal Leani Yumm. Norene’s delicious cucumber salad morphed into this festive, splendid Oriental Salad for a Crowd.
- Save the soaking water from the shiitake mushrooms to use in soup, or for cooking rice or quinoa. Strain it through paper towel first to remove any grit.
- Watch this video below for a few moments of sheer joy.
- Shredded Chicken Salad With Gochujang Dressing (seriouseats.com)
- Endamame and Mandarin Salad with Refreshing Asian Mint Dressing (vegantripper.wordpress.com)
- Seared beef with cucumber and seaweed (millasrecipes.wordpress.com)
- Miso Ginger Noodles with Eggplant, Shiitakes, and Bok Choy (cloudthyme.com)
- Oriental Chicken Salad (thetalkingscale.typepad.com)
- Cucumber Seaweed Salad (deliciouslyelegant.wordpress.com)