We are straddling seasons—one toe in winter, both hands white knuckled grasping tenaciously and struggling feverishly to hang on to any shred of a memory of summer. Or is that just me? So here’s a soup that bridges the seasonal gap.
I live by turning lemons into lemonade—but not literally. I don’t drink sweetened drinks. But if I buy a basket of peaches and they taste a little woolly, I try to hold my temper and come up with recipes that mask the imperfection. Hence Ginger Peach Chutney and Curried Peach Squash Soup. At this rate I’m starting to relish imperfection.
Curried Peach Squash Soup
- 1 kabocha squash, halved and roasted with seeds and skin, in an inch of water in a pan for 40 minutes at 400F, until softened
- 5 medium-sized peaches, pitted and quartered
- 2 peaches, sliced and grilled, as garnish
- 1 c water
- 1 c coconut milk
- 1 T coconut oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 t curry powder
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t Tabasco (optional)
- cilantro leaves or chopped basil
Blend until smooth and serve hot, garnished with cilantro and grilled peach slices. Serves 6-8. Curried Peach Squash Soup simply screams Thanksgiving.
- There are 14 Jittery Cook Squash Recipes. How many have you tried?
- Planning a trip to Vietnam any time soon? Read the Ultimate Food Guide and the Kwintessential guide to language culture, customs and etiquette.
- Looking for 5 easy umami boosters from Momofuku Culinary Lab?
- Finally watched The Company You Keep, and it brought back memories of anti-Vietnam war protests inevitable comparisons to apathy surrounding ongoing wars. Did you catch the Bill Maher rant on USA foreign policy?
- Are you surviving Whole Foods?
- Love this article listing 10 simple science-backed ways to make yourself happier today.
- They say we should eat highly coloured foods. How well do you see colours?
- Tasty Vegetarian Squash Soups (vegetarian.answers.com)
- Curried Squash Soup (simplyrecipes.com)
- Thai Butternut Squash Soup (lesliewoodwardwellness.wordpress.com)
- Easy Banana Butternut Squash Soup Recipe (chiquitabananas.com)