My husband loves to tease me. He calls me “Holly Bratner,” and I tell him to quit it. He mispronounces “Louis Vuitton” every time he sees the sign. He says “Louis Vuvitton,” just to bug me. And then when he sees “shiitake” on the menu, he likes to call them “shit-cakes.” I guess it’s his way of taking the hot air out of everything, which is a good thing. We do laugh together, pretty much all the time. He wasn’t laughing when he tasted these Shiitake Patties—but that’s probably because I didn’t tell him what he was eating.
- 2 lbs shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and chopped very small—makes about 12 cups (or ordinary mushrooms, with the stems)
- 1 T each olive oil, butter
- 1 c minced onion
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 c each breadcrumbs, quick cooking 1-minute oatmeal
- 2/3 c chopped parsley
- 2 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated on a microplane
- 2 t sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 t each cayenne, oregano
- 4 eggs
Sauté mushrooms in a large skillet with olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt until liquid evaporates. Add butter to mushrooms and continue cooking on medium heat, stirring until they brown. Add onion and cook 5 minutes until softened. Turn off heat and add in garlic, mixing for 1 minute.
Transfer the mushroom mixture into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Allow it to cool completely, then add Parmigiano, breadcrumbs, oatmeal, parsley, sea salt, pepper, cayenne and oregano. Combine well. Add the eggs, one at a time, and stir to blend after each egg. Cover and refrigerate for several hours.
Form 12 patties, then bake for 18-20 minutes at 350F, flipping at half-time. Serves 6.
Serve with Chipotle Mayonnaise (and all the usual hamburger trimmings):
- 1 1/2 T each white vinegar, sugar
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 1 c 2% thick Greek yogurt
- 1 T Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, mashed to a paste
- 1 t sea salt and a little freshly ground black pepper
Combine vinegar, sugar and Dijon mustard, stirring until evenly mixed. Add Greek yogurt in 3 scoops, and stir after each scoop until well mixed. Add chipotle pepper, salt and black pepper and mix well. Keep refrigerated.
- Thanks to my sister Julia for sending me the inspiration for these Shiitake Patties.
- And thanks to Chef John from Food Wishes for creating Meatless Meatballs, which Julia has enjoyed on several occasions, with either black beans or chickpea flour tossed in for a protein boost.
- Rocco DiSpirito makes magnificent zero-fat healthy mayonnaise which inspired today’s Chipotle Mayonnaise.
- As for my husband, you may keep teasing me from time to time—as long as you eat my jittery cooking. You make me smile, and that’s a good thing.
- Shiitake with Red Pepper (acatparty.wordpress.com)
- Tandoori Khumb Grilled Mushrooms Recipe (greatbritishchefs.com)
- Shiitake: the ABCs of endless culinary delights (farmingthewoods.com)