Whether it’s fashion or food, those Parisians know how to make everything look its best. Their clothes rule the runway and their molds the kitchen. Everywhere you go, food is shaped into delicate hearts or tantalizing tidbits. The uniformity and neat packaging whet the appetite while keeping portions under control. (See Final Notes for where to buy a food mold or how to improvise.)
This Smoked Salmon Tower of Brunch would fit in well on the Champs-Élysées.
Smoked Salmon Tower of Brunch
- 1/2 lb smoked salmon (I recommend Snowdon Deli or New Victoria Fish)
- 1 just ripe, not overripe avocado, very finely sliced
- 5 T cream cheese or goat cheese
- 1/2 c finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 c capers, rinsed
- 4 oz arugula
- olive oil
- Herbamare salt (or sea salt) and freshly ground black pepper
- Fitness Rolls from Cavallaro, sliced in half (If you don’t see them in the display, they have some frozen)
Place a 3 1/2-inch stainless steel ring mold on a small plate. Place avocado slices in a layer. Cover avocado with a layer of smoked salmon. Use kitchen scissors and cut the salmon to fit the round mold shape.
Mix some of the capers and onions into the cheese. Push about 1 1/2 tablespoons of cheese into the mold, then top with a second layer of smoked salmon. Cover with a layer of avocado, then gently lift the mold off.
Garnish the Smoked Salmon Tower of Brunch with a few red onions, a few capers and a tiny dollop of the cheese mixture. Sprinkle on some Herbamare and black pepper.
Place some arugula on the plate. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Use a grill press to toast the Fitness Rolls. Makes 3 towers.
- Thanks to L’atelier des Chefs for introducing me to food molds.
- There are no bagels in the Smoked Salmon Tower of Brunch, but you can watch Naomi Eidinger‘s “I Got You a Bagel” below.
- If you don’t have a food mold, you can find them at Ares or La Maison d’Emile . If you don’t want a food mold, you can simply stack the ingredients on a bagel or a roll.
- Looking for more food mold recipes?
- Smoked salmon brunch taco bar (noblepig.com)
- Bagel, lox, goat cheese and roasted vegetables (jitterycook.com)
- Deviled eggs de-lox (jitterycook.com)
- Smoked salmon hand rolls (jitterycook.com)