cooked fruit, cooked fruit dessert, cooked rhubarb, dinner party dessert, fruit dessert, healthy dessert, rhubarb, rhubarb and granola, rhubarb and marshmallow, rhubarb dessert, vegan dessert, vegetarian dessert
Here is the question: Can you fear what you love? I say “yes.” I love cream–but I also fear what it can do to my midline. So I search for alternatives. “Seek and you shall find,” as they say.
While in Paris, I had the most delicious rhubarb dessert. The base was a shortbread cookie, and the rhubarb was topped with creme brulée with a dollop of strawberry ice cream.
In this Rhubarb with Molten Marshmallow, granola serves as a perfect, guilt-free base. The rhubarb is sweetened to a minimal degree. A single marshmallow, singed to perfection, and pinched open to expose the creamy white interior, provides a sweet contrast to the tart rhubarb. Creamless. Fearless.
Rhubarb with Molten Marshmallow
- 1 bunch of rhubarb (1lb, 3oz), leaves trimmed off, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 c honey (Add a bit more if you like it sweeter.)
- water to scarcely cover the rhubarb
- 1 c granola (Add more if you want a thicker base)
- 4 marshmallows, singed on a bamboo skewer, slowly rotated for about a minute, 1-inch above a candle flame
- mint leaves as garnish, some top sprigs, some whole leaves, some chiffonade
- 4 raspberries
Cook rhubarb in a medium-small sized pot with honey and water, stirring, until it melts into strands. It only takes about 6 minutes. Let it cool to room temperature.
Place a 3 1/2-inch wide stainless steel mold on a dessert plate. Put 3 tablespoons of granola into the mold. Spoon in 1/4 of the rhubarb and refrigerate until it firms up. When you remove the mold, a pink coloured syrup will slowly ooze into the plate. It adds colour and flavour.
Pinch the marshmallows to spread them out over the top of the molded rhubarb. Garnish with a teaspoon of granola, mint leaves and a single raspberry. Serves 4.
- Merci infinement Antoine Westermann, chef of Mon Vieil Ami, Paris. Here is Antoine’s original recipe for la tartelette à la rhubarbe, crème brûlée à la vanille for those of you who do not fear cream.
- Cream of Wheat Canada wants us all to try their newest instant cinnamon swirl flavour. I tried it by mixing it with regular instant cream of wheat to cut the sugar, and adding milk, a grated apple, walnuts, flax, chia and hemp seeds. I prefer the taste and texture of regular cream of wheat.
- Of rhubarb and farmers’ markets… (sherrygaley.wordpress.com)
- Recipe Round-up: Strawberry Rhubarb Compote (lchfamerica.wordpress.com)
- Delicious Dessert Ideas: Strawberry-rhubarb Upside-down Cake (southernfood.answers.com)
- Recipe Box: Rhubarb Cake (homefront.prudentliving.com)
- Rhubarb – Curd Cheese Tartlets (standardofgrace.net)
- Gramma Bev’s Rhubarb Cake (sherwoodrecipes.wordpress.com)
- Rhubarb Rhubarb (dollyrock.wordpress.com)
- Small rhubarb pies (scimowi.wordpress.com)
- Salut to Saturday: Rhubarb Mule Drink Recipe (thetreasurehuntcirca1985.wordpress.com)
- Rhubarb Bonanza (minnesotagrowing.wordpress.com)