The only thing more luxurious than time is time well spent. You can quote me; I just made that up.
My son laughed at me this morning as he saw me smashing garlic and chopping onions at 7 am. I was determined to make a fresh, homemade vegetable stock for this Chilled Ginger Carrot Soup with Marching Poppy Seeds. Of course, I know that there are commercial brands that would do, but there are times when you want to luxuriate in slow cooking.
For a while now I’ve been trying to figure out which coconut milk is the best. I seem to have found it. Thai Kitchen organic coconut milk hits the spot. If you take the time to make this soup, you will taste the luxury that time provides.
Chilled Ginger Carrot Soup with Marching Poppy Seeds
- 1 T coconut oil
- 10 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2-3 T fresh ginger, finely minced
- 3 c homemade vegetable stock
- 1/2 c coconut milk (Stir well if the cream is all on top.)
- 1/3 c peeled and chopped mango
- 1/2 t sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 T poppy seeds
Heat oil in a large pot, then add carrots and onions. Cook covered on medium heat, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until softened. Add ginger, and cook for 1 minute. Add vegetable stock, salt and pepper, and simmer on medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until tender.
Add mango, then purée until smooth. Add coconut milk, and taste to adjust seasoning. Blend, then refrigerate to chill. Sprinkle a line of poppy seeds in a zigzag across the top of each bowl. Serves 6.
- The inspiration for this wonderful soup came from the restaurant L’Epi Dupin in Paris.
- Did you know that there’s an app “Buycott” that can help you become a socially conscious shopper?
- Watch the video below to find out how to make coconut milk from dried coconut.
Contest reminder: To win a Sublime Flavors Olive Oil-Spice Blend Gift Set (value $45), send firstname.lastname@example.org your favourite recipes for sharing on the JC blog. Draw is June 9th. Just in time for Father’s Day, eh?
- Mom’s Night Out – Crock Pot Carrot Ginger Soup (realfoodonthetable.com)
- Recipe: Coconut, Chicken & Mango Soup (withlovejulie.wordpress.com)
- Is Coconut Milk Paleo? (thepaleolist.com)
- Thai Coconut Lentil Curry (notesfromamessykitchen.com)
- Meal in A Mug: Spicy Coconut Lentil Soup (blogs.abc.net.au)
- Carrot and Sweet Potato Coconut Curry Soup (upwardfacinggirl.wordpress.com)
- Creamy coconut, red pepper and parsnip soup (lornastearoomdelights.com)