I am truly blessed. My daughter gave me a goat for Mother’s Day–a hardy goat. No, I won’t be featuring goat stew anytime soon. She gave the actual goat (along with a stove and some art supplies) to a poor family somewhere in the world. Now that’s what I call a thoughtful Mother’s Day gift.
My step-daughter gave me a lovely cookbook, “My Father’s Daughter” by Gwyneth Paltrow. I read it through in one sitting, nodding my head in agreement with her food choices, except for the deep frying.
With a large Mother’s Day dinner looming, lunch became a time for restraint. This Watercress Beet Salad carried the day.
Watercress Beet Salad
- 1 bunch watercress, cut bite-sized (stems too)
- 1 small yellow pepper, roughly chopped
- 4 sprigs of mint, stemmed, leaves finely chopped
- 2 beets, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2-4 oz feta cheese, shaved or crumbled
- 2 T olive oil
- 1-2 T balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Boil beets, covered in water, until they can be easily pierced with a pointy knife. Wear kitchen gloves while peeling them to keep your hands from getting stained. They can be refrigerated and kept for several days.
Combine salad vegetables, mint and cheese. Toss with oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Serves 2-4.
- A good friend, Stephen Stober, has just published his first novel. His edge-of-your-seat thriller will have you hooked. The main character is a stranger in his own body with no memory of his life. He discovers he’s entangled in an unsolved tragedy and mounts a high-stakes investigation to rescue someone he can’t remember. Intrigued? Download Jump on iTunes, Kobo or Kindle.
- Did you know that watercress is an anti-cancer superfood?
- Title of the photo below: “Noah Botner Sandwich” or “Mother’s Day Kiss.”
- Beet and Watercress Salad with Farm Eggs (williams-sonoma.com)
- Today’s Recipe: Roasted Beets with Goat Cheese and Herbs (williams-sonoma.com)
- Roasted Beet, Asparagus and Arugula Salad (foodologie.com)
- Beet and roasted goat cheese salad (veggiegranolagirl.wordpress.com)
- Today’s Recipe: Deviled Eggs with Watercress (williams-sonoma.com)
- Roasted beet salad with chopped beet greens (rosecreekfarmscsa.wordpress.com)
- Sfecla. n. (romanian) the crimson-red root vegetable that (sfeclaspice.wordpress.com)
- Poached Salmon Fillet Recipe With Watercress (greatbritishchefs.com)