best eggplant recipe, dinner party eggplant recipe, eggplant recipe, fancy eggplant recipe, food, recipe. recipes, roasted stuffed eggplant, stuffed cooked eggplant, vegetarian food, vegetarian recipe
I’m in a pre-Super Bowl panic. I don’t know who’s playing. I’m not a football fan. I’m just concerned about making a party dip to remember. I grew up on the sour cream packaged onion soup dip. It’s pretty addictive. Anything with that much salt and fat usually tastes great, especially when paired with my favourite food group, potato chips. So if you have a FABULOUS dip recipe (that is not very salt and fat laden), please, please, please send it along. I’m depending on you.
Meanwhile, while waiting and wishing for a wonderful dip recipe, I can offer you this wonderful Roasted Stuffed Eggplant recipe, featuring my second favourite food group, eggplant. Enjoy, it’s is original and so very, very flavourful!
Roasted Stuffed Eggplant
- 2 eggplants, halved lengthwise, scored on the cut side and brushed with a little olive oil, salt and pepper
- 1 T olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 c fine or medium bulgur, rinsed, drained and soaked in 1/3 cup of boiled water for about 30 minutes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 t dried oregano
- 1/4 t ground cinnamon
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 c grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (1.5 oz)
- 2 T toasted pine nuts
- 2 t red wine vinegar
- 2 T minced fresh parsley
Roast the eggplant, on a parchment lined baking sheet, cut side down, at 400F for about 40 minutes or until softened. Remove from oven. Drain any liquid.
Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan, then sauté the onion until soft and a bit brown. Add the garlic, oregano, cinnamon, cayenne, and cook for 1 minute. Add the bulgur, tomatoes, 1/2 cup of the grated cheese, pine nuts and vinegar, and cook for 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place the eggplant cut side up on the baking pan.
Break up and push aside the flesh to make room for the filling.
Divide the filling into each half eggplant. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes, or until cheese melts. Serves 4-6.
- This recipe is from The America’s Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook. It tastes fantastic hot or cold.
- Do you know the power of habit investments?
- Caponata, a Real Sicilian Appetizer | Olive Tomato (vivianawebsite.wordpress.com)
- Stuffed Eggplant Milanese Con Formaggio (stevesacooking.com)
- What’s Happenin’, Baba? (vmiv.wordpress.com)
- Heirloom Tomatoes, Roasted Eggplant, and Pita Salad #SaladJam (theroxxbox.com)
- Better-For-You Eggplant Parmigiana (ireport.cnn.com)