Warnings abound over life-shortening dangers: too much stress, too little sleep, too much TV watching. Thank goodness current research refutes claims that severe calorie restriction prolongs life.
Here are 10 links to a longer life:
- Proper health care
- Avoid TV
- Be cautious
In keeping with a slower, more relaxed pace over the holiday season, here is a new version of an old favorite. You may have tasted the crispy goodness of my Auntie Miriam’s Potato Kugel; now try these kugelettes – delightful bite-sized portions baked in mini-muffin trays.
- 2 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 lb onion, minced (in food processor), or grated
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 T kosher salt
- 4-5 T olive oil
- 1 c homemade breadcrumbs (or regular)
- freshly ground pepper
Preheat the oven to 400F. After washing and peeling the potatoes, keep them in cold water until ready to use to prevent them from going brown, then dry them before grating. Mince the onions in a food processor. Then, use the grating blade to grate the potatoes and the carrots. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl and transfer scoop-fulls to mini-muffin trays. For easy clean-up, lightly oil the tray. (Otherwise you’ll need to run a knife around each mini-kugel, and to use a small spoon to ease them out.)
Bake for about 40 minutes, then turn off the heat, and leave them in the oven for an additional 10 minutes to set. Serve hot. Can be frozen. This tempting appetizer or side dish serves 12.
- Check out today’s opening at James Fuentes Gallery.
- The Intouchables is a wonderful film about friendship and caring.
- Silver Linings Playbook touches oh-so-many great movie chords.
- Here are 8 surprising ways to de-stress your brain.
- The next Jittery Cook contest ends February 14 – Valentines Day! Send your favorite recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org. The prize is a sur-prize.
- Recipes for Health: Quinoa and Carrot Kugel (nytimes.com)
- Recipes for Health: Sweet Potato and Apple Kugel – Recipes for Health (nytimes.com)
- Recipes for Health: Quinoa and Cauliflower Kugel – Recipes for Health (nytimes.com)
- Times are frugal, revisit the kugel (thejc.com)
- Recipes for health: Sweet Millet Kugel with Dried Apricot and Raisins (nytimes.com)