I’ve selected Chris Pine as my future son-in-law. I have two daughters, so it’s not like he doesn’t have a choice in this decision. I’m quite sure neither of them would object. Just watched him in “People Like Us” and cried my way through the sad parts. This sibling flick made me reflect on the closeness I feel towards my siblings and the bond between our kids. Naturally, we bond best over food. So Chris, I hope you have a good appetite.
Killing two birds with one stone, I modified a chicken pizza recipe to a turkey version. You see, I’m taking the Comfort Food Makeover Challenge, and I invite you to participate too. See details below.
Turkey Curry Naan Pizza
- 20 oz lean ground turkey, or leftover, cooked, chopped or sliced turkey
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 red peppers, seeded and cut into strips or chopped
- 1-2 onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 t curry powder
- 1/4 t ground cinnamon
- 1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3-1/2 c hummus, can use spicy or flavoured
- 1/3-1/2 c plain Greek style, thick 2% yogurt
- 4 naan bread, plain or whole wheat
- 2 c shredded cheddar or mozzarella (a little more if you like it cheesy)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large skillet, brown turkey in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until meat is no longer pink, then drain and season with salt and pepper. Put aside on a plate. In the same pan, sauté the peppers, onions and garlic for about 5 minutes until softened. Salt and pepper lightly. Add the tomatoes, curry, cinnamon and red pepper flakes. Continue cooking for about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Return turkey to pan. Add hummus, yogurt and mix well. Adjust the seasoning.
Place rack in center of oven. Preheat oven 400F. Place naan bread on baking pans. Divide the turkey mixture over the bread and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is browned. Serves 4-6.
- Kate McClurg, yet another gourmet co-worker, prepared Ricardo’s Curry Chicken Naan Pizza recipe for a potluck. It was one of those weak-at-the-knees moments when you know you’ve found a winner.
- Serve Sriracha on the side, if you like your dishes hot.
- And speaking of hot, Chris, incase you think I’m trying to pull a fast one, check out my daughters Erin and Adrianne (she didn’t permit me any links, so you’ll just have to do your own leg work). You’re very welcome!
Comfort Food Makeover Contest
May the best turkey recipe win the Turkey Prize Pack!
- Pick a part any part of a turkey.
- Feel free to use ground turkey instead.
- Think turkey chili, tacos, spaghetti sauce, lasagna, etc.
- Take a favourite family recipe, and reinvent it with turkey.
- Try it out and report back.
- Then send in your best turkey recipe via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or a comment on the blog.
- Or go to the Turkey Farmers of Canada website to get ideas.
Turkey Prize Pack – Winner to be selected November 21, 2012
- · one zippered, insulated grocery bag
- · one silicone oven mitt
- · one meatballer with recipe card
- · one Coast to Coast recipe booklet
- · one TFC sweatshirt (size: small, medium or large)
You can also head over to Tasty Turkey’s Facebook page to enter their Comfort Food Makeover Contest beginning on November 12th and ending November 25th.
- Naan Bread Pizza (thesoulfultraveler.wordpress.com)
- Naan Bread Recipe (learncookingtogether.wordpress.com)
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza on Whole Wheat Naan (applebutterharmony.wordpress.com)
- Naan Pizza & A Dog Show! (acorsointhekitchen.wordpress.com))