You don’t see Jittery Cook entering a contest for poutine or 7-layer chocolate cake, but it would be great to win the Lentil Recipe Revelations Challenge (contest closes March 19, 2012) in the salad category. Salads are my specialty, and it helps that lentils are inherently tasty, easy to prepare and nutritious.
Super Tasty Lentil Salad Ingredients
- 1 1/2 c green lentils, rinsed, then simmered in 4 cups of salted water for 25 minutes, or until softened
- 1 1/2 c coloured bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 c sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 c parsley, finely chopped
- 2 T cilantro, mint or chive
Lentils can be cooked in advance and cooled. Mix all the lentil salad ingredients.
Super tasty Lentil Salad Dressing Ingredients
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 1 T maple syrup
- 3 T seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/8 t red pepper flakes
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
Combine all dressing ingredients, then pour over the lentils. I had no choice but to keep sampling over and over.
- For extra crunch, add in diced daikon, white turnip or kohlrabi.
- Thank you to Amelia Montano for tasting, liking and asking for the recipe.
- This is a salad you would be pleased to find in your fridge on a regular basis.
- Lentils are a superfood.
- Check out the art work that caught the attention of my favorite artist.