Today feels like limbo. 2012 has begun, but just barely. Time to slowly get back into form and complete the recovery from the holiday hoopla. Enjoy the last brief moments of freedom from routine.
Olive Cheese Melts have been a family staple for years. The bite sized morsels serve as an appetizer. Simple, but praiseworthy. Once you are making them, it’s easy to double the recipe, freezing some for later.
- 1 c ripe olives, chopped
- 1/3 c green onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 c sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 t curry (optional)
- 1/4 t salt (optional)
- 1/2 c mayonnaise (or less, just enough to bind ingredients)
- 8 English Muffins, split open (regular or whole wheat)
Optional additions or substitutions to mix and match – finely chopped:
- coloured pepper, feta, sun-dried tomato, mushrooms, salami, red onion, chives, arugula
Combine ingredients and spread on muffins. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
Serve alone mini pizza style, or with a salad, sliced ripe tomato, sliced avocado, guacamole or eggs.
Cut in 4 to serve as appetizers. A crowd pleaser circulating at potluck parties. Freezes after baking, first on a flat pan, then once frozen, stacked in freezer bags. Bake from frozen state to serve as required.
- In case you had a roaring party and you missed this, PBS aired a live Coldplay Concert, at Austin City Limits, to celebrate 2012. It was energetic, powerful, enchanting, basically perfect entertainment after a quiet dinner party end of the year get together.