Fattoush Chicken Salad is just one more recipe that could promote peace in the Middle East. Larry David may be in line for a Nobel Peace prize if his ‘Palestinian Chicken‘ episode, which Alan Dershowitz sent to Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu, brings the leaders of Israel and Palestine together to create entente.
Fattoush Salad Ingredients
- 1 lettuce torn, romaine or iceberg
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 bunch mint, stemmed and finely chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and seeded, if necessary, and diced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped small
- 1 bunch purslane or mache (optional)
- 1 bunch arugula (optional)
- 4 c cubed Shish Taouk marinated chicken, broiled (from Adonis Supermarket or Akavan)
- 3 t zataar and olive oil to lightly coat pita
- 1-2 fresh large pita, coated lightly with olive oil, sprinkled with zataar, cut into long strips, then baked at 350 for 7-10 minutes until crisp, and golden
Fattoush Salad Dressing
- 2 freshly squeezed lemons
- 3 t sumac
- 1 1/2 t sea salt
- 2 T olive oil
Combine all salad ingredients, except for the pita croutons. Combine dressing ingredients, taste testing the dressing before and after tossing with salad to ensure the right amount of oil, lemon and salt. Toss in a large bowl before spreading out on a large platter and covering with the pita crouton lattice, as pictured.
Thank you to:
- Terri Simms, my sister-in-law, for sharing a Fattoush Salad recipe with me years ago, long before Google was born. It is a family favorite.
- Harriet Sugar Miller, my sister-in-blog, for volunteering to be my copy editor, correcting spelling and grammar as much required. It takes a village to raise a Jittery Cook.