My ability to preplan in the kitchen is limited. The preparatory phase begins with a glance into the fridge which at present is looking kinda bare. Off to the market to pick up some staples and whatever grabs me as I make my way through the displays. Only after I get home do I bother to start searching for recipes, each time surprised that I’m short this, that and the other thing. It’s a challenge and it frequently leads us to eat out as I stall long enough to gather what’s missing.
For this recipe my staples sufficed. Mushrooms find their way into me on a regular basis. I like their earthy flavour and they marry well with numerous ingredients. I’m always searching for the perfect mushroom soup and will continue varying this recipe until it matches my hearts desire.
Mushrooms are yet another nutritional powerhouse. If you are going to bother shopping for and cooking food then you may as well focus on the ones that give you the most in return, mixed in with the ones that taste yum.
Marvelous Mushroom Soup
- 2 T olive oil or butter – or 1 T of each
- 2 pints of Crimini (the dark ones) mushrooms (or make up your own mixture of other types of mushrooms)
- 5-6 celery stalks, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 c finely chopped red onion (any colour will do)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 T savoury
- 4-6 c chicken stock or boullion to taste and water to cover the cooked vegetables
- 3 T Sherry
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 T chopped spinach leaves, chives or parsley to garnish
- 1 c milk, cream or a 1/2 c of yogurt (all optional)
If you have the time and the inclination, take a moment to click on mushrooms to learn about them in more detail. it is truly astonishing how much we stand to gain from the nutritional choices that we make. I intend to keep trying different variations of this soup until I get the exact flavour I’m searching for.